Friday, June 15, 2012

Book Beginnings: An Empty Death

Today, I have a submission for  Book Beginnings on Fridays hosted by Rose City Reader.

I enjoy participating because it forces me to stop and think about the book, why I like it (or not). And then I check out other posts and get some ideas for other types of books I may want to read. I tend to stay in the mystery genre, and it is good to consider other options.

The guidelines of the meme are: Share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Don't forget to include the title and author of the book.

Visit the post at Rose City Reader and view the other links and get a glimpse of books you may not be familiar with.

The first lines of my book:
June 1944, Fitzrovia: The night was bright – a bombers’ moon – but the planes were far away. The other side of London, the man thought. He glanced round the rubble-strewn site.
Right away I am drawn into the story. Mainly because I am hooked on historical mysteries with this setting: World War II and London. This is one of my favorite time periods and places to explore in my reading. I will always give this type of novel a shot.

The book I am reading is An Empty Death by Laura Wilson.

I have read the previous book in this series, The Innocent Spy (published as Stratton's War in the U.K.),  and I found it a very good read.

7 comments:

Brona said...

A frightening time to be living in London - so many great movies depicting that era too. I tend to prefer WW1 and the time between the wars which is why I love Maisie Dobbs :-)

Chris Thompson said...

The opening sets up the atmosphere nicely. Hope you enjoy!

Here's my Book Beginning.

JC Jones said...

Sounds like my kind of book. Here is my post: Book Beginnings

TracyK said...

I prefer World War II, but I am reading books for the World War I Reading Challenge at the War Through the Generations website. I have read the first Maisie Dobbs (and have several more) and the first Bess Crawford (series by Charles Todd).

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Hi Tracy,

This is a new to me author, although I am certain that one or more of her books has been adapted for television and that is why the character of 'Stratton' is so familiar.

I am not specifically a fan of war mysteries, however I see from Laura's website that many of her books are set in other time periods, so all in all a great variety of stories, which are definites for my reading list.

Thanks for the introduction to Laura's work,

Yvonne

Amber said...

I really like the cover and I agree that the beginning draws one in.

...I read this book called The Red Rooster not too long ago. It takes place during WWII in Paris. I can't say that is was 'mystery' per se, but it was good--made me want to read more fiction that takes place during that time period.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy it. And thanks again for visiting my blog.

Sergio (Tipping My Fedora) said...

Another new author for me too, thanks Tracy - on the other hand, by now there really should be a moratorium on books that begin with 'The night was ...), even good ones, shouldn't there?