Monday, September 3, 2012

R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril VII


Luckily, I stumbled upon the announcement of the R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril VII event this weekend. And I am very excited about joining in. The event started seven years ago, but this is the first year I have been blogging, thus the first year I am participating. (You do not have to have a blog to participate.)

This event is hosted by Carl of Stainless Steel Droppings. The event starts in September and goes through October and celebrates "all things ghastly and ghostly" as we move into Fall.

A description of the event:
The purpose of R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril VII is to enjoy books and movies/television that could be classified (by you) as:
Mystery.
Suspense.
Thriller.
Dark Fantasy.
Gothic.
Horror.
Supernatural.
Or anything sufficiently moody that shares a kinship with the above.
There are two simple goals for R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril VII
1. Have fun reading.
2. Share that fun with others.
See this post for specifics on how to join in on the fun. There are several levels of participation and several areas to participate in. In addition to books, movies, and television, you can post about short stories or join in group reads. There is a R.I.P. Review Site where participants may post links to any book or screen posts related to this event.

I love this event for so many reasons. Its flexibility. The art work. But most of all, the opportunity to see what others have read and reviewed, and visit new blogs.

I have chosen these perils:

Read four books, any length, that you feel fit (the very broad definitions) of R.I.P. literature. It could be King or Conan Doyle, Penny or Poe, Chandler or Collins, Lovecraft or Leroux…or anyone in between.
Since almost all of my reading falls in the categories of mystery, crime fiction, espionage fiction, and the occasional thriller, this will not be too ambitious for me, even with all the other things going on in these two months. I do plan to pick some books and films from the more ghastly end of the spectrum, in order to stretch a bit.

I plan to include some of these books in my choices for this event, but I am remaining flexible:
Bimbos of the Death Sun by Sharon McCrumb
A Sight for Sore Eyes by Ruth Rendell
Ghost Hero by S. J. Rozan
A Fatal Grace by Louise Penny
Ten Second Staircase by Christopher Fowler
The Calling by Inger Ash Wolfe
The Coffin Dancer by Jeffery Deaver
Garden of Beasts by Jeffery Deaver
The Ghosts of Belfast by Stuart Neville 
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley

This is for those of us that like to watch suitably scary, eerie, mysterious gothic fare during this time of year. It may be something on the small screen or large. It might be a television show, like Dark Shadows or Midsomer Murders, or your favorite film.
For this one, my husband and I plan to view these films:
Shutter Island 
Description at Wikipedia:
Shutter Island is a 2010 American psychological thriller film directed by Martin Scorsese. The film is based on Dennis Lehane's 2003 novel of the same name.
Rear Window
Description at Wikipedia:
Rear Window is a 1954 American suspense film directed by Alfred Hitchcock, written by John Michael Hayes and based on Cornell Woolrich's 1942 short story "It Had to Be Murder".

1 comment:

Carl V. Anderson said...

Ah, so thrilled you are participating this year! Welcome to the blogging community and to R.I.P. :) Delighted that you are a part of both and I hope you are having fun with your blog.

Great list of potential reads. I've fallen head over heels for Louise Penny and have read the first 6 Gamache books in a row here this past month and am very much looking forward to devouring books 7 and 8 for R.I.P. this year.

Also a big fan of Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce series. Such a delight.

Haven't read Shutter Island, but I love the film. We will no doubt be rewatching it during R.I.P. this year. Or at least I plan to. I'm not sure I've ever seen Rear Window and really should as I like the cast and always enjoy Hitchcock films.