- The House Without a Key by Earl Derr Biggers
- The Greene Murder Case by S. S. Van Dine
- A Touch of Frost by R. D. Wingfield
- Bimbos of the Death Sun by Sharyn McCrumb
- Zombies of the Gene Pool by Sharyn McCrumb
- XPD by Len Deighton
Two were vintage mysteries and I was reading those authors (Biggers and Van Dine) for the first time. The other four were published between 1979 and 1992.
I guess my pick for best book this month would be... the first Charlie Chan mystery, The House Without a Key. I have seen many of the Charlie Chan films, and I have always enjoyed them, but I had not read any of the books. I was pleasantly surprised that I found this first book very enjoyable. The plot was more complex than I expected. Charlie was less front and center in this book than he is in the movies. He did not show up until later in the book, and in some ways he seemed to be in the background during the investigation. But it is clearly his intellect and detection that solves the crime.