The challenge sign-up link is here.
- The challenge runs from January 1, 2013 to December 31, 2013.
- Mystery novels for the challenge must have been originally written before 1960. Short story collections are permissible if all stories fit those guidelines.
- Bev has named a large number of Vintage Categories. The goal is to read books from at least eight of the categories. The categories are listed at the sign-up post. More catergories may be added so I will not list all of them here.
- Once you have met the 8 book minimum, you may repeat any category (except the last one, Get Out of Jail Free) any number of times to reach the 16+ level.
- There are more rules and explanations. See the sign-up post for further information.
Vintage Categories that will work for me:
Murder by the Numbers: a book with a number, quantity in the title
Leave It to the Professionals: a book featuring cops, private eyes, secret service, professional spies, etc.
World Traveler: one mystery set in any country except the US or Britain
Amateur Night: a book with a "detective" who is not a P.I.; Police Officer; Official Investigator (Nurse Keate, Father Brown, Miss Marple, etc.)
Jolly Old England: one mystery set in Britain
Locked Rooms: a locked-room mystery
Country House Criminals: a standard (or not-so-standard) Golden Age country house murder
Murder Is Academic: a mystery involving a scholar, teacher, librarian, etc. OR set at a school, university, library, etc.
Repeat Offenders: a mystery featuring your favorite series detective or by your favorite author (the books/authors you'd read over and over again) OR reread an old favorite
A Mystery By Any Other Name: any book that has been published under more than one title (Murder Is Easy--aka Easy to Kill [Christie]; Fog of Doubt--aka London Particular [Christianna Brand], etc.)
Dynamic Duos: a mystery featuring a detective team--Holmes & Watson, Pam & Jerry North, Wolfe & Goodwin, or....a little-known team that you introduce to us.
Get Out of Jail Free: This is a freebie category. One per customer.
My goal is to read 16 books that fit these categories in 2013.
And here is my list:
Scene of the Crime: Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie
Yankee Doodle Dandy: The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett
Jolly Old England: Crooked House by Agatha Christie
Get Out of Jail Free (cross-genre, sci-fi and mystery): The Caves of Steel by Isaac Asimov
Serial Killers: The Body in the Library by Agatha Christie
Dangerous Beasts: The Chinese Parrot by Earl Derr Biggers
World Traveler: Murder on the Links by Agatha Christie