Monday, December 31, 2012

Merely Mystery Reading Challenge 2012: Wrap Up Post

I was very proud of myself for completing the Merely Mystery Reading Challenge in 2012.


There were two possible levels for this challenge.
Down on Her/His Luck Gumshoe - Read two or more books falling into any of the twelve sub-genres specified by the challenge (listed below).
Shamus Who Has Seen It All - Read at least one book from each of the sub-genres for a total of 12 books.

I chose to sign up for the Shamus Who Has Seen It All level. This was a true challenge for me, because several of the genres were not that appealing to me.



I did read more than one in many of the sub-genres, but I chose to list just one for each.

Below I have listed books I read with links to reviews...

The Whodunit: Political Suicide by Robert Barnard

Locked Room Mystery:  The Tattoo Murder Case by Akimitsu Takagi

Cozy: Heads You Lose by Christianna Brand

Hard-Boiled/Noir:  Dying Light by Stuart MacBride

The Inverted Detective Story: The Suspect by L. R. Wright

The Historical Whodunnit: Bluffing Mr. Churchill by John Lawton

The Police Procedural:  The Redbreast by Jo Nesbo

The Professional Thriller: With a Bare Bodkin by Cyril Hare

The Spy Novel:  The Company of Strangers by Robert Wilson

Caper Stories:  The Thief Who Couldn't Sleep by Lawrence Block

The Psychological Suspense: A Duty to the Dead by Charles Todd

Spoofs and Parodies:  The Affair of the Mutilated Mink by James Anderson

1 comment:

Literary Feline said...

Thank you so much for participating in the challenge! My hat goes off to you for reading a book for each category. You did a great job and have given me a few ideas of what I need to add to my wish list.