Saturday, January 3, 2015

BINGO! Vintage Mystery Challenge 2014 Results

Every year since 2012 I have participated in the Vintage Mystery Reading Challenge. The Challenge is hosted by Bev at My Reader's Block. For the Vintage Mystery BINGO Challenge 2014 version she used a bingo card format.

Vintage Mystery BINGO Challenge 2014 Rules:
For the purposes of this challenge, the Golden Age Vintage Mysteries must have been first published before 1960. Short story collections (whether published pre-1960 or not) are permissible provided all of the stories included in the collection were originally written pre-1960. Check the link for further info.



These are the books I read for the GOLDEN edition of the challenge:

G1: Color in the Title   The Indigo Necklace by Frances Crane
G2:  Set anywhere except the US or England   Epitaph for a Spy by Eric Ambler

O1:  Book published under More Than One Title   The Ivory Grin by Ross Macdonald
O2:  Number in the Title   The Count of Nine by Erle Stanley Gardner

L2: Book that has been made into a Movie   The Moving Target by Ross Macdonald
L3:  Amateur Detective  The Danger Within by Michael Gilbert
L5:  Country House Mystery  Death Has a Past by Anita Boutell

D1: An author you've read before     Double for Death by Rex Stout
D2:  Book with a Lawyer   A Case for Mr. Crook by Anthony Gilbert
D3:  Read by a Fellow Challenger  The Golden Spiders by Rex Stout
D4:  Professional detective     Coffin Scarcely Used by Colin Watson
D5:  Mystery that involves water       Holiday Homicide by Rufus King
D6:  Outside Comfort Zone   (Using FREE SPACE: Author not read before):  
The Davidian Report by Dorothy B. Hughes

E1: Detective "Team"   Murder Within Murder by Richard and Frances Lockridge
E5:  Set in England    The Saint vs. Scotland Yard by Leslie Charteris

N6:  Set in the USA   Keeper of the Keys by Earl Derr Biggers

For the Gold Edition, I achieved two Bingos... AND I was very surprised that I did that.
  1. The D column was a Bingo, using the FREE space for one category.
  2. The second Bingo was this DIAGONAL: G1, 02, L3, D4, E5, and N6.



This year, Bev added a new twist to the Vintage Mystery Reading Challenge. There are two "editions" to the challenge. The Silver Edition covers mysteries written in the three decades following the Golden Age of mystery writing. For the purposes of this challenge, the Silver Age Vintage Mysteries may be first published any time from 1960 to 1989 (inclusive). Short story collections (whether published pre-1990 or not) are permissible provided all of the stories included in the collection were originally written pre-1990. 

These are the books I read for the SILVER edition of the challenge:

S2:  Set anywhere except the US or England   Sleep While I Sing by L. R. Wright
S5:  Academic Mystery    Rest You Merry by Charlotte MacLeod
S6:  Set in the entertainment world      Death of a Hollow Man by Caroline Graham

I6:  Book with a Woman in the Title   Henrietta Who? by Catherine Aird

L2:  Book Made into a Movie   In the Heat of the Night by John Ball

V1:  Book by an Author You've read before     Death is a Lonely Business by Ray Bradbury
V2:  Book with a Courtroom   Time's Witness by Michael Malone
V3:  Book read by a Fellow Challenger    A Hearse on May-Day by Gladys Mitchell
V4:  Book with a Professional Detective    The Death of a Butterfly by Margaret Maron
V5:  Mystery that involves water    Horse Under Water by Len Deighton
V6:  Outside Comfort Zone   (Using FREE SPACE: Book Set in England)  
Skeleton in Search of a Cupboard by Elizabeth Ferrars

E1:  Book with a Detective Team    The Mother Hunt by Rex Stout
E2:  Book with a Day, Time, Month, etc. in the Title   The Night the Gods Smiled by Eric Wright

R1:  Book with an Animal in the title      Firecrest by Victor Canning

For the Silver Edition, I achieved one Bingo.  The V column is a Bingo using the FREE space for one category.

Check out other Bingo wrap up posts HERE. Some bloggers completed entire Bingo cards.

19 comments:

Cath said...

Wow. You did *so* well with this one. Well, done!

TracyK said...

Thanks, Cath. The hardest part was writing this all up. Probably because I did not plan my book choices based on getting a Bingo. Maybe this year I will actually aim at one Bingo per card. I don't want to buy a lot of extra books but I still have a lot in my TBR piles.

neer said...

Congrats Tracy. Wishing you a very happy new year.

TracyK said...

Thanks, Neer. And a happy new year to you. Finish one year of reading and begin another.

Cath said...

Same here. If I do this again another year I'll focus more on specific books and also keep a link post going through the year so that I don't need to spend ages doing the wrap-up post.

Anonymous said...

So impressive, Tracy!! I am in awe; I really am!

TracyK said...

Thanks, Margot. This is a great challenge for keeping me on track to read more older crime fiction novels. But keeping track of it is a bear. I have to come up with a more relaxed approach for next year.

col2910 said...

Well done. You read so much more Vintage stuff than I did. I've given myself more time to complete a line from each......another 2 years should do it!

TracyK said...

Col, I do try to read a lot of Vintage mysteries. I thought about half my reading was mysteries before 1990, but based on this list, this year it was only about a third of my reading.

Sarah said...

Congratulations. I'm continually amazed at how much classic crime you manage to read. Well done.

TracyK said...

Thanks, Sarah. Although classic crime before 1960 is usually very different from crime fiction today, I can say that most of the books I read in that area were enjoyable and some were very, very good. The "Silver Age" crime novels are more like current crime novels, so most of those don't seem outdated to me. Not that being outdated bothers me when reading a book.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Tracy! I am so impressed. I can't even figure out the categories here, and think you deserve some awards for these accomplishments.

I am exhausted from the holidays and work I had to do before, during and after them, so I'm catching up on rest. But I think my reading will be less ambitious and more restful this year, trying to find a book recommended or turning to my big TBR stacks here.

Have a great year in health and good books.

TracyK said...

Thank, Kathy, it was pretty challenging to figure out the categories. I had a good rest around Christmas because I work for a school and had extra days off, but November and December have been very draining, and I hope to do some recuperating in 2015 also. I hope we both have good reading and relax a lot.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Congratulations, Tracy! You read some terrific books for the Bingo Challenge. Just today, I bought my first mystery novel by Rex Stout called OVER MY DEAD BODY. Have you read it?

Water Park in Delhi NCR said...

Nice post, things explained in details. Thank You.

TracyK said...

Yes, I have read OVER MY DEAD BODY, Prashant. It is one of my favorites... but you know I love them all. When I first read them I read them in no particular order and I don't think it makes a difference to the enjoyment. I hope you like it.

TracyK said...

Thanks, this was a complicated challenge.

Bev Hankins said...

Great Job TracyK! And thanks so much for giving all the precise details! I'll be figuring out the logistics for offering up prizes in the next several days (after the deadline tonight). I had way more challengers finish for automatic prizes this year!

TracyK said...

Thanks, Bev. It is a great challenge, and in 2015 I hope to plan ahead for the Bingos...